Gay Sailor in Lemoore will not be discharged
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley Sailor will keep his job with the Navy after a lengthy hearing.
26-year-old Dereck Morado was in jeopardy of being discharged, after a senior officer accused him of violating the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Morado is gay. He's been under scrutiny for a year and a half, after a senior sailor discovered a picture showing another man kissing his cheek.
President Obama signed a repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" in December, but it hasn't yet taken effect.
Morado said, "You're in a gray area there nobody wants to break the law nobody wants to go against policy even though the policy is on its way out."
The U.S. Navy would not talk specifically about Morado's case, but did say it will continue to follow the "don't ask, don't tell" policy until it is repealed.
A spokesperson also told Action News, if someone undergoes a hearing like Morado's and no policy violation is found, no further action would be taken.
lemoore, lemoore naval air station, kings county, gay rights, local, jessica peres
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees will be allowed home
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop 7 min ago
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Accuweather Forecast
32 min ago