Gay Sailor in Lemoore will not be discharged
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley Sailor will keep his job with the Navy after a lengthy hearing.
26-year-old Dereck Morado was in jeopardy of being discharged, after a senior officer accused him of violating the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Morado is gay. He's been under scrutiny for a year and a half, after a senior sailor discovered a picture showing another man kissing his cheek.
President Obama signed a repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" in December, but it hasn't yet taken effect.
Morado said, "You're in a gray area there nobody wants to break the law nobody wants to go against policy even though the policy is on its way out."
The U.S. Navy would not talk specifically about Morado's case, but did say it will continue to follow the "don't ask, don't tell" policy until it is repealed.
A spokesperson also told Action News, if someone undergoes a hearing like Morado's and no policy violation is found, no further action would be taken.
lemoore, lemoore naval air station, kings county, gay rights, local, jessica peres
- Reward raised to $100K to find Ryan Rodriquez 18 min ago
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home