Huge turnout for Shaela Warkentin Chipotle fundraiser
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly a hundred people stood outside of the Clovis Chipotle Thursday night. Many of them didn't even know Shaela Warkentin personally but decided to come out to support her.
"It makes me feel good just to participate in good things and kind of help people out. We go to church and stuff so anything that we can do that we can to help the community out." said Deri Lascher of Clovis.
Even longer lines could be found at both of Chipotle's Fresno locations near River Park and at Fig Garden Village.
Katie Arballo and Melana Allen helped organize the event. They teamed up with Chipotle and came up with this Facebook page. By Thursday -- more than 1,5000 people confirmed they'd go inside and buy food to help out Shaela's recovery efforts.
"So it is just amazing. And as you can tell the line is reaching really far. It is so amazing." said Shaela's friend Melana Allen.
"I'm completely blown away. I just can't believe the support that the community is showing for our family." said Shaela's Father Ken Warkentin.
Warkentin says the days and weeks have been tough on him and the family since her horrific accident back on March 8th. A pick-up truck plowed into the back of the car Shaela was riding in. The impact threw the Bullard sophomore through the window and it took medics 45 minutes to pry her from the wreckage. Shaela's has gone through numerous surgeries and her father says her recovery has been up and down.
"The last couple of days have been a little bit more down that up but she's still progressing so it's going to be a long road, a long road to recovery." added Ken Warkentin.
And perhaps no one was more appreciative of Thursday's huge turnout than Shaela's father. He spent the night hugging people in line at all three Chipotle locations.
fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District 57 min ago
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts 10 min ago
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops 19 min ago
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Xbox One to go on sale in late 2013
- Wedding Workout: The final stretch
29 min ago