Huge turnout for Shaela Warkentin Chipotle fundraiser
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nearly a hundred people stood outside of the Clovis Chipotle Thursday night. Many of them didn't even know Shaela Warkentin personally but decided to come out to support her.
"It makes me feel good just to participate in good things and kind of help people out. We go to church and stuff so anything that we can do that we can to help the community out." said Deri Lascher of Clovis.
Even longer lines could be found at both of Chipotle's Fresno locations near River Park and at Fig Garden Village.
Katie Arballo and Melana Allen helped organize the event. They teamed up with Chipotle and came up with this Facebook page. By Thursday -- more than 1,5000 people confirmed they'd go inside and buy food to help out Shaela's recovery efforts.
"So it is just amazing. And as you can tell the line is reaching really far. It is so amazing." said Shaela's friend Melana Allen.
"I'm completely blown away. I just can't believe the support that the community is showing for our family." said Shaela's Father Ken Warkentin.
Warkentin says the days and weeks have been tough on him and the family since her horrific accident back on March 8th. A pick-up truck plowed into the back of the car Shaela was riding in. The impact threw the Bullard sophomore through the window and it took medics 45 minutes to pry her from the wreckage. Shaela's has gone through numerous surgeries and her father says her recovery has been up and down.
"The last couple of days have been a little bit more down that up but she's still progressing so it's going to be a long road, a long road to recovery." added Ken Warkentin.
And perhaps no one was more appreciative of Thursday's huge turnout than Shaela's father. He spent the night hugging people in line at all three Chipotle locations.
fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified 52 min ago
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant 32 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos