Even more Fresno 'Handbag Bandit' victims come forward
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A server at Red Robin Restaurant in Clovis figures she was a victim of the purse snatcher. After seeing surveillance photos from other restaurants on Action News, Britany Burks and her co workers remembered the guy. "Two people had offered to help him, and he said no, I'm just waiting, we thought he was waiting for a to go order." She said.
Britany believes the man reached over the counter and grabbed her purse, which was stuffed onto a shelf. She lost $300. "I'm really frustrated, I know I'm never getting my money back but I'm hoping he gets caught and stops being able to do it. Obviously he's getting away with it everywhere."
In addition another server at the nearby Applebee's Restaurant said her purse was taken by the same guy, recognized as the suspect in another purse snatching in the same restaurant.
A third server at the Yukon Jacks Restaurant at Clovis and Herndon also had items stolen from her purse, which had been stashed on a shelf near the cash register. She wasn't available but her co-worker Abraham Ochoa told us; "I think he took something like 70 dollars and he might have gone though her car as well."
Clovis Police have surveillance video of a suspect taking a purse at Kaplan College. Fresno Police say he appears to be the same guy who's hit at least two Fresno restaurants: PF Chaings and the Cheesecake Factory.
There's speculation the suspect, has restaurant experience, and knows that in most restaurants it seems, the female employees don't have a secure place to put their purses.
Britany Burks thinks things have to change; "There aren't a lot of places to lock away your purse in restaurants, especially with so many people working there. It's hard to keep an eye on them but we're going to have to find a better system."
Clovis Police say their investigation has been hampered because the chain restaurants involved have not yet provided their surveillance video of the suspect.
Fresno Police said they believe they are close to solving the case.
fresno county, fresno, theft, crimetracker, fresno police department, local, gene haagenson
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 17 hurt
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting 38 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network