Fresno State and Bullard students raise money for Shaela
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students from Fresno State and Bullard High School joined together Saturday to raise money for a student recovering from a horrific crash.
Members of the Delta Gamma Sorority at Fresno State held a barbeque fundraiser for Shaela Warkentin.
The Bullard High School sophomore suffered serious head and facial injuries in a crash on March 18.
Her sight has also been affected, though the extent is still unknown.
Members of the sorority didn't know her personally but raise money annually for the blind and visually impaired.
"We decided that we needed to get involved. We have a lot of manpower, and a lot of connections and a lot of networking around the community. We just decided we needed to help," Delta Gamma Vice President Julia Japson said.
Bullard High School students also attended Saturday's fundraiser, selling t-shirts and bracelet's with Shaela's name.
Saturday's barbeque was just the latest fundraiser for the injured teen.
Earlier this week, hundreds of people lined up at three Fresno area Chipotle Restaurants buying burritos to help the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state bulldogs, local
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges involving a minor 24 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno 52 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Fire Safety