Fresno State and Bullard students raise money for Shaela
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students from Fresno State and Bullard High School joined together Saturday to raise money for a student recovering from a horrific crash.
Members of the Delta Gamma Sorority at Fresno State held a barbeque fundraiser for Shaela Warkentin.
The Bullard High School sophomore suffered serious head and facial injuries in a crash on March 18.
Her sight has also been affected, though the extent is still unknown.
Members of the sorority didn't know her personally but raise money annually for the blind and visually impaired.
"We decided that we needed to get involved. We have a lot of manpower, and a lot of connections and a lot of networking around the community. We just decided we needed to help," Delta Gamma Vice President Julia Japson said.
Bullard High School students also attended Saturday's fundraiser, selling t-shirts and bracelet's with Shaela's name.
Saturday's barbeque was just the latest fundraiser for the injured teen.
Earlier this week, hundreds of people lined up at three Fresno area Chipotle Restaurants buying burritos to help the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno state bulldogs, local
- Tulare Police Chief Arrested 20 min ago
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea 40 min ago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos