Shaela's 16th birthday celebrated at Fresno Hospital
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno teenager seriously injured in a crash last month turned 16 Sunday and her hospitalization didn't keep her friends and family from celebrating the occasion.
Shaela Warkentin's friends and family members held a birthday party at Community Regional Medical Center, complete with cake and balloons.
The Bullard High School student suffered severe head and facial trauma in a crash on March 8 and remains hospitalized in intensive care.
Shaela couldn't attend Sunday's party but family members took pictures to share with her at a later date.
"This could have been a different result. We could be laying flowers at a grave today. We're not, God spared her life and we're here to celebrate that miracle, and since then," Ken Warkentin said.
Shaela's father says her condition changes hour by hour but the fact she was concerned about her appearance Sunday could be taken as a good sign.
community regional medical center, fresno, fresno county, local
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos