Shaela's 16th birthday celebrated at Fresno Hospital
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno teenager seriously injured in a crash last month turned 16 Sunday and her hospitalization didn't keep her friends and family from celebrating the occasion.
Shaela Warkentin's friends and family members held a birthday party at Community Regional Medical Center, complete with cake and balloons.
The Bullard High School student suffered severe head and facial trauma in a crash on March 8 and remains hospitalized in intensive care.
Shaela couldn't attend Sunday's party but family members took pictures to share with her at a later date.
"This could have been a different result. We could be laying flowers at a grave today. We're not, God spared her life and we're here to celebrate that miracle, and since then," Ken Warkentin said.
Shaela's father says her condition changes hour by hour but the fact she was concerned about her appearance Sunday could be taken as a good sign.
community regional medical center, fresno, fresno county, local
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Fire off Copper and Sunnyside north of Clovis
- Carstens Fire near Midpines causes evacuations 55 min ago
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Chop shop and pot grow busted in Tulare County
- Rolling Fire burning in Madera County
- Federal agents search land linked to Hoffa case
- abcnews: Brokenhearted Hitman Testifies Against...
- OTRC: Daytime Emmys 2013 winners: Full list
- Grass fire closes Highway 99 in Fresno
- Cantaloupe producers start new safety program
- Apricot growers in California are expecting a big year
- Emergency crash landing at Fresno-Yosemite airport
- Zoo employees hold yard sale for conservation projects
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos