Shaela's 16th birthday celebrated at Fresno Hospital
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno teenager seriously injured in a crash last month turned 16 Sunday and her hospitalization didn't keep her friends and family from celebrating the occasion.
Shaela Warkentin's friends and family members held a birthday party at Community Regional Medical Center, complete with cake and balloons.
The Bullard High School student suffered severe head and facial trauma in a crash on March 8 and remains hospitalized in intensive care.
Shaela couldn't attend Sunday's party but family members took pictures to share with her at a later date.
"This could have been a different result. We could be laying flowers at a grave today. We're not, God spared her life and we're here to celebrate that miracle, and since then," Ken Warkentin said.
Shaela's father says her condition changes hour by hour but the fact she was concerned about her appearance Sunday could be taken as a good sign.
community regional medical center, fresno, fresno county, local
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
- 5 honored for helping save Clovis man's life
- Tulare burglary suspect shot, killed by TX trooper
- Did Apple map capture Loch Ness Monster?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos