Fresno Grizzlies see increase in ticket sales
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The start of another Fresno Grizzlies season is just four days away and on the heels of the Giant's championship, the Grizzlies are off to a good start, with increased ticket sales.
In about 30 minutes the team will be arriving here from spring training in Scottsdale. They'll spend the next few days getting ready for opening day and businesses around Downtown Fresno are also optimistic about a successful summer.
The Fresno Grizzlies are hoping for a home run season this year.
The team's home, Chukchansi Park, is ready with a few touch ups like new logos on the dug outs.
"We've got people here over my shoulder getting the last signs installed and get that feel that it's almost opening day," Noah Frank said.
The Grizzlies spokesperson, says the Grizzlies saw nearly half a million fans during last year's home games.
So far this year, season ticket sales are already up nearly 20 percent, he says thanks in part to the Giants Championship season.
"More than half of that World Series team had come up through Fresno."
Orange and white are all over some businesses in Downtown, like the Ballpark Cafe.
"We're hearing a little bit more buzz about the games."
Robin Johnson opened the baseball themed cafe a month ago. She and her daughters spent Sunday getting ready for the season opener.
The cafe is also one of several Downtown restaurants that have teamed up with the city to offer same day discounts for fans who park at the stadium.
They're planning on staying busy since ticket sales are up.
"That's exciting for us since we are a new place and trying to get into the groove of things," Robin Johnson said.
Katherine Aujero bought her tickets Sunday. This, she says, is where her daughter Rachel wants to spend her 7th birthday.
"We've been Giants fans for years and years, so it's always fun to see the kids before they get called up. In fact, we were hoping to see Brandon Belt but he made the team. So, we're happy for him, a little disappointed we won't get to see him."
Tickets are still available for Thursday's opener against the Las Vegas 51s. But, on Tuesday the Giant's World Series Trophy will be at the stadium from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
fresno grizzlies, fresno county, fresno downtown, local, rick montanez
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy 20 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident