Lieutenant Matthew Lowe's mother remembers her son
LEMOORE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Lieutenant Matthew Lowe of Plantation, Florida and Lieutenant Nathan Williams of Oswego, New York both died Wednesday when their jet crashed into a field outside Naval Air Station Lemoore.
The 33-year-old Lowe was piloting the F/A-18 Super Hornet during a routine training mission.
His mother in Florida remembered her son's passion for flying.
"I know that he did what he wanted to do and he loved it. That's one thing that give me solace that he loved the military and he loved to fly and we loved him very, very much and miss him so very much," said Matthew Lowe's mother Pamela Lowe. People who knew Lieutenant Nathan Williams remember him as a young man who loved sports and music. His teachers at Oswego High School say Nathan excelled in playing the saxophone but his dream was flying.
"He wanted to be involved in flying and realized his dream and got it but my heart and I'm sure everybody in the community -- our hearts are broken for the Williams family at this point," said Nathan's teacher Anthony Joseph, "He's going to be desperately missed. I don't think any parent can possibly even fathom that -- our hearts are broken for the Williams family."
Training exercises continued as normal Thursday at N.A.S. Lemoore. A private memorial service is being planned there for the two officers. The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
lemoore naval air station, local
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 25 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 32 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos