Fresno Chaffee Zoo expansion update
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Over the weekend, attendance at Fresno's Chaffee zoo totaled a record setting 15,000-plus visitors.
Over the weekend, attendance at Fresno's Chaffee zoo totaled a record setting 15 thousand-plus visitors.
On Tuesday Zoo Director Scott Barton was focused on the future. While the zoo no longer gets any financial support from the city of Fresno it's operating in the black. Careful use of income from Measure Z operating funds has led to rainy day and an endowment funds. And new exhibits are banked as well.
"$40 million in the bank that we're ready to start construction projects with. We're ready to break ground and move forward with our first projects. We are still planning to go before the city council in June and we are hopeful; for unanimous approval for our first project which is Sea Lion Cove."
However, new exhibits and a larger zoo expansion into Roeding Park are on hold. The 'Friends of Roeding Park' oppose such expansion and legal action is expected going forward. With that in mind the city's environmental impact report that would include park acreage was withdrawn. It's being re-tooled to withstand any potential lawsuit.
Kevin Fabino said, "We've worked tirelessly with the zoo team and our own team to make this the most defensible document we can and to get this done so we can have a great zoo."
In the meantime, Barton says until then, the zoo' staff and the volunteer board will continue to offer the kind of experience that drew a record crowd last weekend.
The revised EIR is expected to be made public before Spring turns to Summer.
fresno, fresno county, chaffee zoo, local, nancy osborne
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals