Cops discover huge pot grow in Farmersville
FARMERSVILLE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Investigators served a search warrant at a house on Teddy Street Monday after a neighbor complained of a strong marijuana odor over the weekend.
Narcotics task force officers found that 24-year-old Danny Lane of Farmersville had a medical marijuana card that allowed him to legally grow 80 plants inside a canopy in the backyard. But investigators say a sophisticated operation inside the home is what turned this into a criminal case.
Lt. Tom Sigley said, "Subsequently we found an additional marijuana indoor grow. As well as evidence that there's been tampering with power to residence."
Detectives found an additional 220 pot plants inside. All told, the 300 plants could have grown to an estimated street value of close to a million dollars.
Investigators also determined that Lane broke off a SoCal Edison lid and stole power to supply his marijuana grow.
"He had the lights and the ventilation. He had a lot of plants that had been growing a while," said Lt. Tom Sigley. "But indoor grows like this sometimes lead to mold in the houses and there was evidence of that."
The mold likely led code enforcement to deem the home unsafe to live in. The city put up a bright orange flyer Monday to let people know no one would be allowed to live here in the near future. News of the arrest shocked neighbors like David Crisel. He says this is a quiet neighborhood.
"It's surprising because people around here are friendly and cordial that they know you and say hi," said like David Crisel. "When you walk down the street they wave you. It's a nice neighborhood it really is."
Deputies also arrested 20-year-old Stephen Athey of Armona at the scene Monday for possessing hashish.
This case is still under investigation and Lane could face multiple charges including cultivation of marijuana, possession with intent to sell and tampering with power lines.
tulare county, farmersville, medical marijuana, crimetracker, local, tommy tran
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather