Baseball game became a memorial in Armona
ARMONA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Kaleb Null loved to play baseball and there were questions to whether or not his team should have played the game Monday night. In the end they did play and afterwards the community honored Kaleb in a number of special tributes that especially touched his mother's heart.
Hundreds of people with candles packed the Armona Little League Baseball diamond Monday night.
One by one a dozen or so friends and family told emotional stories about 12 year old Kaleb Null.
His mother Katrina says that his team's decision to play on meant the world to her.
"They needed it. I needed to watch them play. Because there's nothing my son loved more than trying to steal home from 3rd base or throw a strike." said Katrina Null.
The night of tributes started hours earlier with the swing of the bat and a replica jersey hanging on the fence in the dugout.
His team -- the Blue Jays beat the Giants 3-1 and honored him by putting out his burnt jersey, glove, helmet and bat found in the burnt house where Kaleb was killed last week.
Since then -- donations have been pouring in to places like the Lemoore Pro Tire shop and Lemoore Christian Aid center.
"Anything an everything. No small donation will not be taken. It's huge everything they need." said Lemoore Chrisitan Aid President Scott Thayer.
Meanwhile back on the field -- little league president Lisa Chavarin knew Kaleb's field of dreams would bring people together.
"I know the community would come together because that's how Armona is. We're just one big family." said Chavarin.
"I'm thankful that people will remember my son for the stinker he was. I hope that all the kids can come to terms with this tragedy in their lives as well." said Katrina Null.
There is a funeral service scheduled for Thursday at 4 P.M. at the Calvary Christian Center in Hanford. The public is invited to attend.
armona, kings county, local, tommy tran
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 49 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 21 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 16 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos