Baseball game became a memorial in Armona
ARMONA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Kaleb Null loved to play baseball and there were questions to whether or not his team should have played the game Monday night. In the end they did play and afterwards the community honored Kaleb in a number of special tributes that especially touched his mother's heart.
Hundreds of people with candles packed the Armona Little League Baseball diamond Monday night.
One by one a dozen or so friends and family told emotional stories about 12 year old Kaleb Null.
His mother Katrina says that his team's decision to play on meant the world to her.
"They needed it. I needed to watch them play. Because there's nothing my son loved more than trying to steal home from 3rd base or throw a strike." said Katrina Null.
The night of tributes started hours earlier with the swing of the bat and a replica jersey hanging on the fence in the dugout.
His team -- the Blue Jays beat the Giants 3-1 and honored him by putting out his burnt jersey, glove, helmet and bat found in the burnt house where Kaleb was killed last week.
Since then -- donations have been pouring in to places like the Lemoore Pro Tire shop and Lemoore Christian Aid center.
"Anything an everything. No small donation will not be taken. It's huge everything they need." said Lemoore Chrisitan Aid President Scott Thayer.
Meanwhile back on the field -- little league president Lisa Chavarin knew Kaleb's field of dreams would bring people together.
"I know the community would come together because that's how Armona is. We're just one big family." said Chavarin.
"I'm thankful that people will remember my son for the stinker he was. I hope that all the kids can come to terms with this tragedy in their lives as well." said Katrina Null.
There is a funeral service scheduled for Thursday at 4 P.M. at the Calvary Christian Center in Hanford. The public is invited to attend.
armona, kings county, local, tommy tran
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Fire off Copper and Sunnyside north of Clovis
- Carstens Fire near Midpines causes evacuations 22 min ago
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Chop shop and pot grow busted in Tulare County
- Rolling Fire burning in Madera County
- Federal agents search land linked to Hoffa case
- abcnews: Brokenhearted Hitman Testifies Against...
- OTRC: Daytime Emmys 2013 winners: Full list
- Grass fire closes Highway 99 in Fresno
- Cantaloupe producers start new safety program
- Apricot growers in California are expecting a big year
- Emergency crash landing at Fresno-Yosemite airport
- Zoo employees hold yard sale for conservation projects
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos