Kerman Students Escape Bus Fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A field trip to the Bay Area took a dangerous turn for dozens of Kerman high school students. Students only had moments to escape after their charter bus caught fire.
The students were on their way home from visiting the USS Hornet in Alameda when their bus blew a tire and then caught fire.
Many recorded cell phone video and snapped photos as they evacuated the bus.
The fire happened Thursday afternoon on Interstate 5, a few miles north of Patterson. "We were, like, rushing out," Kerman Senior Robbin Boatner said. "The teachers and everyone just started grabbing stuff and running out."
"There were some kids crying and everyone was on the phones calling their parents," Boatner said.
In the pictures you can see the students moving away from the smoke and flames. Another image shows the bus after the fire, the only thing left is the charred frame.
Two hours after the students were supposed to be back, they arrived at Kerman High School in a replacement bus.
For most of them the fear was gone, but that's not the case for some parents. "I think the kids were lucky to be alive after that thing," Paul Magana said.
"That's some scary stuff, those are pictures you just see on the internet, but you don't figure you'd be getting them in a text from your daughter," Marlene Nevarez said.
No one was hurt. But witnesses told Action News students and teachers lost personal items like cell phones and jackets in the fire.
kerman, fresno county, fire, local, rick montanez
- Patricia Perez and David Barrera found guilty of first degree murder 13 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 41 min ago
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 28 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use 49 min ago
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos