Fresno's Islamic Cultural Center on Bin Laden's death
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The news of Bin Laden's death was greeted by Fresno's Islamic Cultural Center with relief and the hope that his influence dies with him.
This Islamic house of worship shares Fresno's Nees Avenue with numerous houses of worship
Seyed Alie Ghazvii said, "My family and I and members of this community they share a sense of relief when they heard this news."
It's spiritual leader spoke of Islam as a religion of peace and not of the violence represented by Osama bin Laden. "The majority of victims of Al Qaeda and Bin Laden and terrorism are and were Muslims."
He and the center's director say most Muslim-Americans support the actions that led to Bin Laden's death.
Kamal Abu-Shamsieh said, "We support our president in his characterizing of Bin Laden as 'not a Muslim leader but a mass murderer."
And the mastermind of so much death they say does not align with any religion.
Kamal Abu-Shamsieh said, "He chose the path of destruction and he tarnished the image of Islam by his own deeds. For that Islam is innocent and he did not speak on behalf of Muslims & Muslims and the rest of the world are yearning for democracy, to live in peace."
The Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno would not comment on Bin Laden's burial at sea but refereed to it as a political decision.
osama bin laden, local, nancy osborne
- Fresno State's new president has been selected
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Mysterious illness kills 2 in southeast Alabama
- Merced Co. may allow fireworks in unincorporated areas
- FUSD gives lessons on eating healthy
- Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
- Jodi Arias asks for life in prison
- ESPN layoffs are the latest in a series of Disney cuts
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- State senate special election approaching
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley