Kidnapping in Kerman, boy, 3, stabbed
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kerman father is on the run, wanted for kidnapping his estranged wife and their son. Fresno County Sheriff's investigators say Antonio Salcedo, 21, violently attacking his family inside a Valley motel. The kidnapping ordeal led authorities across the western half of Fresno County. It all began early Thursday morning in Kerman and ended at a motel near Coalinga.
Investigators say Salcedo has been married for three years, but he and his wife have been estranged for the last two months.
Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy Chris Cutrice told Action News Salcedo tracked down his wife at a relative's house in Kerman. "He then dragged her to his waiting car, she was holding the 3-year-old, put them in his truck and left the area," Curtice said.
Salcedo then allegedly drove his two captives nearly 50 miles away, at one point even holding a gun to their heads, threatening to kill them if they tried to escape.
Finally, they stopped at a Motel 6 near Interstate 5, just north of Coalinga. It was there that the victim realized she had a chance to escape. She called 911 from her cell phone while her estranged husband was inside the office.
"As he walked back out he saw her on the phone and asked her why she had called the cops," Dep. Curtice said.
The couple then began fighting in the parking lot; deputies said the fight moved into the motel office, where Salcedo allegedly tried to stab his wife. Instead, he stabbed his son in the hand.
"That's pretty crazy," said Kerman resident Robert Ramirez. "This is a quiet neighborhood, you know? Since we've been here nothing's ever happened like that."
Salcedo was last seen driving a white two-door 2004 Chevy Silverado. The truck has a California license plate 7M78652. It also has the words "Salcedo Painting and Handyman" on the side.
The 3-year-old boy ended up needing more than 20 stitches in his hand.
fresno county, kerman, kidnapping, stabbing, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing 6 min ago
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel 26 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Fresno County man arrested after running from deputies 35 min ago
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin