Kidnapping in Kerman, boy, 3, stabbed
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kerman father is on the run, wanted for kidnapping his estranged wife and their son. Fresno County Sheriff's investigators say Antonio Salcedo, 21, violently attacking his family inside a Valley motel. The kidnapping ordeal led authorities across the western half of Fresno County. It all began early Thursday morning in Kerman and ended at a motel near Coalinga.
Investigators say Salcedo has been married for three years, but he and his wife have been estranged for the last two months.
Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy Chris Cutrice told Action News Salcedo tracked down his wife at a relative's house in Kerman. "He then dragged her to his waiting car, she was holding the 3-year-old, put them in his truck and left the area," Curtice said.
Salcedo then allegedly drove his two captives nearly 50 miles away, at one point even holding a gun to their heads, threatening to kill them if they tried to escape.
Finally, they stopped at a Motel 6 near Interstate 5, just north of Coalinga. It was there that the victim realized she had a chance to escape. She called 911 from her cell phone while her estranged husband was inside the office.
"As he walked back out he saw her on the phone and asked her why she had called the cops," Dep. Curtice said.
The couple then began fighting in the parking lot; deputies said the fight moved into the motel office, where Salcedo allegedly tried to stab his wife. Instead, he stabbed his son in the hand.
"That's pretty crazy," said Kerman resident Robert Ramirez. "This is a quiet neighborhood, you know? Since we've been here nothing's ever happened like that."
Salcedo was last seen driving a white two-door 2004 Chevy Silverado. The truck has a California license plate 7M78652. It also has the words "Salcedo Painting and Handyman" on the side.
The 3-year-old boy ended up needing more than 20 stitches in his hand.
fresno county, kerman, kidnapping, stabbing, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges 49 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 23 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera 40 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Fire Safety