Motel damaged by tree in Madera County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The base of this tree is about 10 feet in diameter and if you can see just how far the tree fell on top of this roof. And this ended up being just one of the many weather related problems in the Valley.
Ferocious winds sent this enormous pine tree crashing down on room 36 of the Casa Grande Motel Monday. It fell so hard and so fast that the top part of it snapped landing on the other side of the building.
"It's bad. It's bad. You know I've never seen these things before."
Amado Armas stayed in room 36. He returned home from working the almond fields to find his room obliterated.
"For the last 25 years I've lived in this county, I've never seen this kind of wind before." said Armas.
Yellow tape prevented him from going inside to get his personal belongings. He won't be able to get his things until the tree is removed.
In Northeast Fresno on Magill and Sherman, the owner of this condo is thankful that rain and wind pushed a 40 foot tree onto the street instead of her home. It crushed the hood of this grey sedan and damaged a silver coupe.
"Well first we heard this real big thunder. We thought it was lightning or thunder. It was unbelievable to wonder that somebody wasn't hurt." said Florence Kosiek.
Professional crews used chainsaws and a chipper to remove the tree safely from the property. And just a couple miles further north on Callisch and Nees, another tree split in two.
Neighbors here tell us a lightning bolt struck just after 4 P.M. And while one half fell harmlessly, the other landed onto another neighbor's roof.
Action News talked to the owner who said Monday marked the sixth anniversary of when he purchased the motel. And this tree falling down is not quite the present he was hoping for.
fresno county, madera county, storm, local, tommy tran
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Growers watch hourly temps as cold snap approaches
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center