Big rig fire on HWY 99 near Traver
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A big rig caught fire on Highway 99 Tuesday morning and slowed traffic for several hours.
This is all that's left of the truck now. Action News brought you the story all morning long on AM Live.
The fire started small in a little wheel well, but it spread into the load of cardboard bales.
Firefighters needed flame retardant foam to stop the flames, then Caltrans crews had to clean the cardboard off the highway. And it turns out, the driver stopped his truck in a bad spot.
"Another mile and a half he could've gotten off the freeway. He unfortunately parked underneath one of our freeway message boards," Sgt. Rodney Kennedy said.
The message board is totally ruined and will have to be replaced.
And here's a live look at driving conditions from that location from our ABC30 Live Traffic Tracker. The mess is all cleaned up, but the traffic is still backed up for miles.
fire, traver, local
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather