Big rig fire on HWY 99 near Traver
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A big rig caught fire on Highway 99 Tuesday morning and slowed traffic for several hours.
This is all that's left of the truck now. Action News brought you the story all morning long on AM Live.
The fire started small in a little wheel well, but it spread into the load of cardboard bales.
Firefighters needed flame retardant foam to stop the flames, then Caltrans crews had to clean the cardboard off the highway. And it turns out, the driver stopped his truck in a bad spot.
"Another mile and a half he could've gotten off the freeway. He unfortunately parked underneath one of our freeway message boards," Sgt. Rodney Kennedy said.
The message board is totally ruined and will have to be replaced.
And here's a live look at driving conditions from that location from our ABC30 Live Traffic Tracker. The mess is all cleaned up, but the traffic is still backed up for miles.
fire, traver, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos