Big rig fire on HWY 99 near Traver
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A big rig caught fire on Highway 99 Tuesday morning and slowed traffic for several hours.
This is all that's left of the truck now. Action News brought you the story all morning long on AM Live.
The fire started small in a little wheel well, but it spread into the load of cardboard bales.
Firefighters needed flame retardant foam to stop the flames, then Caltrans crews had to clean the cardboard off the highway. And it turns out, the driver stopped his truck in a bad spot.
"Another mile and a half he could've gotten off the freeway. He unfortunately parked underneath one of our freeway message boards," Sgt. Rodney Kennedy said.
The message board is totally ruined and will have to be replaced.
And here's a live look at driving conditions from that location from our ABC30 Live Traffic Tracker. The mess is all cleaned up, but the traffic is still backed up for miles.
fire, traver, local
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- 68th Annual Candy Cane Lane Parade
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos