Officer-involved shooting outside Fresno supermaket
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating a shooting that involved an officer and a wanted parolee in a busy shopping center.
This is the third officer involved shooting in Fresno this year.
It happened around 12:30 p.m. in front of the R-N Market on Peach and Belmont.
Police say the suspect, 31-year-old Angelo Fernandez, was shot by an officer after a chase.
Police tell Action News he is expected to survive-and that he is a parolee for a number of crimes, including a shootng that happened less than a week ago.
Fernandez was confined to this stretcher Saturday-after a Fresno Police Officer shot him in the back.
It happened outside this East Central Fresno supermarket, in front of several shoppers.
"I just saw him running and then I heard a bang and that was it," Seferina Espinoza said.
"Scared. I was scared, because I've never seen this before and this was my first time."
Investigators say they've been looking for the validated Bulldog gang member since May 22.
That's when they say he car-jacked a man-then drove with him to this Southeast Fresno neighborhood.
After ordering the victim out of the car, police say Fernandez shot an innocent bystander in the stomach.
"The suspect in the carjacking pointed a shotgun at the victim, who was the passenger and told him to get out of the car. For whatever reason, the suspect also fired the shotgun at several individuals who were standing on a porch nearby," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Saturday, plain clothes officers from Fresno's Violent Crime Impact Team located Fernandez at a home-and followed him to this shopping center.
After cornering hm and his two friends inside this car, police say Fernandez ran across the parking lot.
That's when an officer fired one round-fearing the situation could become more dangerous.
"One of our officers felt that Fernandez was going to enter into the store, knew that he was a violent felon and was possibly armed and could cause a hostage situation inside of the market."
Police say even after getting shot, Fernandez continued to run-and that they were forced to tackle him, which created a bit of a struggle.
Again, police have talked to several witnesses, but they say a few people left the scene and that they'd like those people to contact the Fresno Police Department.
officer involved shooting, jerry dyer, fresno county, fresno southeast, crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, local, shannon handy
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers 40 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos