Officer-involved shooting outside Fresno supermaket
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating a shooting that involved an officer and a wanted parolee in a busy shopping center.
This is the third officer involved shooting in Fresno this year.
It happened around 12:30 p.m. in front of the R-N Market on Peach and Belmont.
Police say the suspect, 31-year-old Angelo Fernandez, was shot by an officer after a chase.
Police tell Action News he is expected to survive-and that he is a parolee for a number of crimes, including a shootng that happened less than a week ago.
Fernandez was confined to this stretcher Saturday-after a Fresno Police Officer shot him in the back.
It happened outside this East Central Fresno supermarket, in front of several shoppers.
"I just saw him running and then I heard a bang and that was it," Seferina Espinoza said.
"Scared. I was scared, because I've never seen this before and this was my first time."
Investigators say they've been looking for the validated Bulldog gang member since May 22.
That's when they say he car-jacked a man-then drove with him to this Southeast Fresno neighborhood.
After ordering the victim out of the car, police say Fernandez shot an innocent bystander in the stomach.
"The suspect in the carjacking pointed a shotgun at the victim, who was the passenger and told him to get out of the car. For whatever reason, the suspect also fired the shotgun at several individuals who were standing on a porch nearby," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Saturday, plain clothes officers from Fresno's Violent Crime Impact Team located Fernandez at a home-and followed him to this shopping center.
After cornering hm and his two friends inside this car, police say Fernandez ran across the parking lot.
That's when an officer fired one round-fearing the situation could become more dangerous.
"One of our officers felt that Fernandez was going to enter into the store, knew that he was a violent felon and was possibly armed and could cause a hostage situation inside of the market."
Police say even after getting shot, Fernandez continued to run-and that they were forced to tackle him, which created a bit of a struggle.
Again, police have talked to several witnesses, but they say a few people left the scene and that they'd like those people to contact the Fresno Police Department.
officer involved shooting, jerry dyer, fresno county, fresno southeast, crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, local, shannon handy
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store 43 min ago
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos