Snow in Shaver Lake changes some Memorial Day plans
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Memorial Day weekend was anything but ordinary for many families as rain and snow disrupted their holiday plans.
Three inches of snow fell in the Shaver Lake area overnight and continued throughout the morning.
The unofficial start of summer looked more like winter up near Shaver. So much so, that many families ended their holiday weekend early.
People heading toward Shaver Lake Sunday experienced snow falling on their windshields and an empty lake, which is usually full of watercrafts this time of year.
"It's weird. It's crazy. It's normally not like this ever," Jeremy Fairchild said.
Jeremy Fairchild and his family traveled from Coarsegold to go fishing.
They didn't expect this kind of weather but chose to stick with their plans anyway.
"Catch em or not, it's always a good day to fish."
Ron Mills of Fresno wasn't quite as optimistic.
He decided to pack up and go home, two days before the official end of his camping trip.
"What wood we had left was wet and the kids, they don't, it's just hard for them to get out here and play," Ron Mills said.
Mills stayed at Camp Edison just outside Shaver Lake.
All 252 campsites were sold out this weekend.
For some families coming here is an annual tradition.
"What were you wearing last year?" "We were wearing shorts, short sleeve shirts and flip flops. We were on the boat all day. Now this year, it's snowing," Billy Goldsberry said.
While many families left early, others decided to make the most of their vacation.
"And we had bathing suits packed this trip cause we rented a boat, but obviously, we were wearing jackets and pants yesterday," Carla Polm said.
"Did you take the boat out?" "Of course we did!"
In fact, some campers say, it's not that unusual to see snow during Memorial Day weekend. "This is the second time in five years that it snowed."
shaver lake, local, shannon handy
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos