Sophia Acosta murder suspect attacked outside court
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man accused in the rape and murder of a three-year-old Exeter girl was involved in a fight before his court date.
20-year-old Chris Cheary is facing charges of murder, sexual assault, and torture for the death of his girlfriend's daughter, Sophia Acosta, last month.
The Tulare County Sheriff's office says Cheary and three other inmates got into some sort of physical altercation Thursday morning.
They were being transported from the Visalia main jail to the courthouse at the time. Two deputies were injured in the scuffle, but not seriously. The inmates declined medical attention.
Thursday's court date was postponed after the disturbance. Cheary faces a possible death sentence if convicted. He's pleaded "not guilty".
tulare county, exeter, crimetracker, murder, local
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years