Ammonia leak at Cutler fruit packing plant
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Ammonia leaked out of a fruit packing plant in the Cutler-Orosi area Saturday morning. The Tulare County Sheriff's Department says the ammonia had been leaking since midnight at the Wileman Brothers and Elliott Plant on Ave. 400 and Road 128 in Cutler.
A Hazmat team, fire crews, and Sheriff's Deputies were at the scene Saturday morning. Road blocks were set up near the plant to keep people away from the dangerous gas. Deputies say the plant was empty when the leak was reported.
Ammonia can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.So authorities are advising people in the area to stay inside, close their doors and windows, and turn-off their air conditioning.
The cause of the leak is still under investigation.
cutler, orosi, safety, tulare county, hazmat, local
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 44 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children