Ammonia leak at Cutler fruit packing plant
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Ammonia leaked out of a fruit packing plant in the Cutler-Orosi area Saturday morning. The Tulare County Sheriff's Department says the ammonia had been leaking since midnight at the Wileman Brothers and Elliott Plant on Ave. 400 and Road 128 in Cutler.
A Hazmat team, fire crews, and Sheriff's Deputies were at the scene Saturday morning. Road blocks were set up near the plant to keep people away from the dangerous gas. Deputies say the plant was empty when the leak was reported.
Ammonia can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.So authorities are advising people in the area to stay inside, close their doors and windows, and turn-off their air conditioning.
The cause of the leak is still under investigation.
cutler, orosi, safety, tulare county, hazmat, local
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos