CHP reveals identities of suspects killed in SE Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The two suspects shot and killed by CHP officers in Fresno, following a high speed chase Thursday, have been identified.
The Fresno County coroner says they are 48-year-old Sharon Mello and 57-year-old Keith Cervelli. Both have extensive criminal backgrounds dating back to the 1980's and 90's.
The CHP says Mello, the driver of the stolen car that ran from officers, has several charges for drugs, providing false information and petty theft on her record.
As for Mello's passenger, Keith Cervelli, his record goes back to the 1980's. Most recently, he was arrested and released from the Fresno County Jail on drug charges in February. In April 2008, the Fresno County Sheriff's office says Cervelli had burglarized a home with his then 32-year-old son.
The pair was riding in a stolen Honda Thursday, and led the CHP on a high speed chase that ended in Southeast Fresno, where the stolen car smashed into several other cars. Officers say Mello tried twice to run over officers with the car, leaving the CHP with no choice, but to shoot Mello and Cervelli.
The two officers involved in the shooting have yet to be identified, but both are on paid leave.
california highway patrol, officer involved shooting, shooting, crimetracker, fresno, fresno southeast, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced 43 min ago
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem