CHP reveals identities of suspects killed in SE Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The two suspects shot and killed by CHP officers in Fresno, following a high speed chase Thursday, have been identified.
The Fresno County coroner says they are 48-year-old Sharon Mello and 57-year-old Keith Cervelli. Both have extensive criminal backgrounds dating back to the 1980's and 90's.
The CHP says Mello, the driver of the stolen car that ran from officers, has several charges for drugs, providing false information and petty theft on her record.
As for Mello's passenger, Keith Cervelli, his record goes back to the 1980's. Most recently, he was arrested and released from the Fresno County Jail on drug charges in February. In April 2008, the Fresno County Sheriff's office says Cervelli had burglarized a home with his then 32-year-old son.
The pair was riding in a stolen Honda Thursday, and led the CHP on a high speed chase that ended in Southeast Fresno, where the stolen car smashed into several other cars. Officers say Mello tried twice to run over officers with the car, leaving the CHP with no choice, but to shoot Mello and Cervelli.
The two officers involved in the shooting have yet to be identified, but both are on paid leave.
california highway patrol, officer involved shooting, shooting, crimetracker, fresno, fresno southeast, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge 15 min ago
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?