Portions of Kings and Merced Rivers back open
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A portion of the Kings River that runs through Tulare County has been reopened to the public. The Tulare County Sheriff's Department says that lower water releases have slowed the flow of the Kings, allowing them to reopen the river to the public.
The river had been closed for weeks out of concern for public safety. Monday, the Fresno County Sheriff's Department reopened parts of the river from the Pine Flat Dam to the Tulare and Kings County borders. The Kings County portion of the river will reopen on Friday at Noon.
The Merced River is also open to the public again following an emergency closure earlier this month. The Merced irrigation district opened the river near Snelling to the public for the first time since this incident was captured only by Action News.
Back on June 30, Merced County rescuers needed to be rescued themselves. Their boat capsized in the swift water above Snelling as they tried to pull some stranded boaters out of the swift, cold water.
The next day county officials announced an emergency closure for ten days. Authorities say water is still dangerous and they're urging people to remain extremely cautious if they choose to spend time in or around the river.
kings county, kings river, merced river, merced county, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos