Former Fresno teacher gets 7 years in prison for sex crimes
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Before Judge James Petrucelli handed down the sentence, convicted sex offender Jonathan Malcolm made a statement.
"I hope I can convey in some way shape or form my sincerity of remorse in my actions that were told before the court."
Those actions included repeated physical sexual contact with one of his former students, right after she graduated from University High. Two other students said in 2007 and 2008, Malcolm sent them sexual text messages, emails and pictures. Malcolm, who was a music teacher, denied he was trying to seduce them into having sex.
A Fresno County jury convicted Malcolm in January. While his attorney, Roger Nuttal argued for probation, the judge imposed a sentence of 7 years and 4 months in prison.
Outside the courtroom I asked Malcolm what he would like to say to his victims, publicly identified only as Jane Does 1, 2 and 3.
"To the three Jane Doe's out there, I'm really sorry you had to endure this, I'm sorry you had to come in and testify against me."
"Do you think your actions will have long term consequences in their lives?" I asked.
"In their lives, or my life?" He asked.
"In their lives." I said.
He responded; "I think any action you have as a person interacting with anybody else has long term consequences."
I said, "I mean, do you think they were damaged by your behavior, the victims?"
He responded saying, "You know, honestly, I can't speak on their behalf. I don't know, I hope not. I really hope not, but I can't intelligently speak to that."
The judge gave Malcolm one week to get his affairs in order and help deal with how his sentence will affect his 5 year old son.
The prosecutor is worried Malcolm will flee. Despite the sentence of 7 years and 4 months, with good behavior Malcolm could get out in a little more than 3 years.
court, fresno downtown, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about