Violent offenders are being released from Fresno County Jail
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County jail is releasing suspects accused of violent crimes because of overcrowding.
Prosecutors say 19-year-old Erven Aguayo is a gang member who stabbed another man at a Reedley park. But a search of jail records show, he's not the only violent suspect getting out.
Action News was there as Reedley Police re-arrested Aguayo Thursday, nine days after his release from jail. He's charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and prosecutors didn't think he'd be a candidate for early release.
Chris Walsh, Fresno County Deputy District Attorney said, "This is the first one I've personally handled that involved such a serious crime and a crime involving such violence and I was surprised. I was frankly somewhat shocked."
But the Fresno County Sheriff's office says suspects charged with assault with a deadly weapon can get out of jail early, even if they have stabbed someone. As for Aguayo, they say he could be released again, even after Thursday's arrest.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, local, corin hoggard
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say