Violent offenders are being released from Fresno County Jail
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County jail is releasing suspects accused of violent crimes because of overcrowding.
Prosecutors say 19-year-old Erven Aguayo is a gang member who stabbed another man at a Reedley park. But a search of jail records show, he's not the only violent suspect getting out.
Action News was there as Reedley Police re-arrested Aguayo Thursday, nine days after his release from jail. He's charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and prosecutors didn't think he'd be a candidate for early release.
Chris Walsh, Fresno County Deputy District Attorney said, "This is the first one I've personally handled that involved such a serious crime and a crime involving such violence and I was surprised. I was frankly somewhat shocked."
But the Fresno County Sheriff's office says suspects charged with assault with a deadly weapon can get out of jail early, even if they have stabbed someone. As for Aguayo, they say he could be released again, even after Thursday's arrest.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, local, corin hoggard
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies