Prominent Chowchilla businessman accused of grand theft
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A prominent Chowchilla businessman is in jail accused of cheating in his business dealings. Former car dealer, Tom Dubose, is accused of stealing from two businesses and defrauding the city of Chowchilla.
Dubose is in the Madera County Jail on a $600,000 bail. Chowchilla Police arrested him at his home, but the crimes he's accused of happened years ago.
Dubose is a former mayor of Chowchilla and he's owned a car dealership and other buisnesses, including real estate buisnesses. Some of those business dealings landed him in civil court and his attorney says he did pay out some settlements after being sued for fraud.
Charles McGill says the city dug up those old issues to go after dubose, beacuse of a personal problem between him and his brother in law, who is a city council member. "So we've got an inner family battle, with the politics of a little city, using the politics of the county, to use the political power of the courts to prosecute somebody over a business deal."
McGill said his client would get out of jail the next day. He hasn't been able to make bail over the last two days, but McGill expects it to be reduced.
Dubose is expected to arraigned at the Madera County Courthouse Tuesday morning.
chowchilla, madera county, merced, merced county, crimetracker, local, corin hoggard
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service 32 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender