Fire crews mop up Yosemite Lakes Park fires
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fire crews are mopping up hot spots in Madera County after three fires burned through 75 acres of rugged terrain.
The fires broke out around noon Sunday near Ranger Circle and North Dome in the Yosemite Lakes Park neighborhood.
Fire crews will be out checking on hot spots along the hillside near Yosemite Lakes Park through Tuesday. Cal Fire says there is a lot of brush in that area that may still be smoldering.
Helicopters and airplanes helped lead an aerial fire fight dropping water and fire retardant on the flames because the terrain in Yosemite Lakes Park is tough to navigate.
"We're tackling a lot of heavy brush, this particular hill is very steep. It hasn't burned in many years," said Cal Fire Battalion Chief Lisa Anderson.
Several residents say the fire came too close for comfort.
"You could hear the fire burning, then they started dropping the retardant and the water from the helicopters," said Pat Althizer.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office ordered evacuations for homes close to the flames, so many people packed their valuables into their cars and left their homes...
"20 years of stuff accumulated, you don't want to lose. We got as much as we could," said Ralph Brewster.
Some spent the afternoon at a Red Cross evacuation center set up at Minarets High School.
After nearly 6 hours battling the flames, Fire crews contained the two afternoon blazes and people were allowed back into their homes.
Ralph Brewster said this close call is a lesson learned for his family. "We did a pretty good job, I think. If we'd had a drill I don't think we'd do much better, but we're going to have a drill now."
Cal Fire crews say they will likely be out searching for hot spots as late as Tuesday. One of the fires was caused by a riding lawn mower.
If you've taken any photos or video please send them to uReport@kfsn.com.
madera county, yosemite lakes, fire, widlfire, local, rick montanez
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers 50 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos