A giant gesture of love in North Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- As far as wedding anniversary gifts go... flowers, candle-light dinners and of course jewelry are popular choices. But one Valley man has taken it up a notch. He found a very public way to profess his love... to his bride of 40 years.
Drive down almost any city street or highway, and you're bound to see billboards pitching beer, buying gold, promoting concerts, and now, professing long-lasting love.
Danny Golden said, "Just an admiration for the woman I married 40 years ago."
Danny decided to go big for his 40th wedding anniversary surprise to his wife Carolyn. "Her jaw just hit the ground, and she couldn't talk for five minutes."
Carolyn said, "He's done some incredible things, but I think this just floored me."
The giant poster sits on the northwest corner of Blackstone and Minarets. On it, a picture of the couple on their wedding day, and another of a recent vacation. In the middle a line from their wedding vows.
"She is a wonderful woman -- had some great children, some wonderful grandchildren," Danny said. "Up until this point I wouldn't have it any other way... (laugh)."
The billboard went up Monday morning, and Carolyn says she has been inundated with calls from family and friends. "I giggled all day to myself internally cause I didn't want to tell a lot of people but I just felt good inside."
Danny says as public as the gesture is -- the message was personal. "When she said I do... that was it."
Carolyn said, "I felt it was such an overwhelming... gesture of love"
And for their male friends who now teasingly complain that now they have to take their gift-giving up a notch... Danny shares the two words that have contributed to their marital bliss.
"Okay baby. Pretty simple. You agree and acquiesce to anything she wants and everything is fine."
Their actual wedding anniversary is next week -- Carolyn says she is still expecting a gift.
If you recognize Danny Golden, he was a reporter at Channel 30, back in the mid-70's.
fresno, fresno county, local, graciela moreno
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Growers watch hourly temps as cold snap approaches
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center