Madera teen nearly drowns in San Joaquin River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Madera teenager is fighting for his life after he nearly drowned in the San Joaquin River. It happened just before 3:00 at Skaggs Bridge Park near Highway 145 and Barstow. That's just outside Biola.
Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies tell Action News the 19-year-old man was visiting the park Sunday with family and friends. They say he did not know how to swim-and was underwater for several minutes
When both startling struggling, the third family member was only able to help his younger brother. But, when he went back for his cousin the 19-year-old was already underwater.
"It looked like he had been underwater for seven minutes by the time they pulled him out," Sgt. Christopher Torres said.
Several people at the park tried to help the group by jumping into the water themselves.
"At the moment I was kinda scared cause we're like, where's the body, where's the body and the another person, I don't know if he saw him underwater, but that's when we saw the body and called 911," Lupe Dominguez said.
Once ashore, other park goers started performing CPR.
Gladys Angulo of Fresno is training to become a nurse. She and others worked on the man for several minutes before medics arrived. "So, we kept doing that the whole time, and all that stuff started coming out. We were just trying to keep everything draining."
A helicopter later transported the man to Community Regional Medical Center. His condition at this hour is unknown.
madera, san joaquin river, fresno county sheriff department, drowning, local, shannon handy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 36 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 21 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt