Bay Area man falls to his death off Yosemite's Half Dome
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Yosemite National Park officials are trying to determine why a man fell to his death while climbing Half Dome Monday evening.
Officials in Yosemite have released the identity of the man who fell off of Half Dome. Park officials say 23-year-old Ryan Leeder from the Bay Area died Monday evening when he fell over the side of half dome and fell 2,500 feet.
Leeder was hiking alone and no one at the top of Half Dome saw him fall, although climbers reported seeing a man falling off the cables at 6:30 Monday evening.
Park officials say they don't know why the man fell. This is the 17th death that has happened in Yosemite this year.
yosemite national park, local
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father
- Free dental care to be offered in Fresno
- Accuweather Forecast
7 min ago