Bay Area man falls to his death off Yosemite's Half Dome
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Yosemite National Park officials are trying to determine why a man fell to his death while climbing Half Dome Monday evening.
Officials in Yosemite have released the identity of the man who fell off of Half Dome. Park officials say 23-year-old Ryan Leeder from the Bay Area died Monday evening when he fell over the side of half dome and fell 2,500 feet.
Leeder was hiking alone and no one at the top of Half Dome saw him fall, although climbers reported seeing a man falling off the cables at 6:30 Monday evening.
Park officials say they don't know why the man fell. This is the 17th death that has happened in Yosemite this year.
yosemite national park, local
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos