Bay Area man falls to his death off Yosemite's Half Dome
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Yosemite National Park officials are trying to determine why a man fell to his death while climbing Half Dome Monday evening.
Officials in Yosemite have released the identity of the man who fell off of Half Dome. Park officials say 23-year-old Ryan Leeder from the Bay Area died Monday evening when he fell over the side of half dome and fell 2,500 feet.
Leeder was hiking alone and no one at the top of Half Dome saw him fall, although climbers reported seeing a man falling off the cables at 6:30 Monday evening.
Park officials say they don't know why the man fell. This is the 17th death that has happened in Yosemite this year.
yosemite national park, local
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast 20 min ago
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks 20 min ago
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport