Bay Area man falls to his death off Yosemite's Half Dome
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Yosemite National Park officials are trying to determine why a man fell to his death while climbing Half Dome Monday evening.
Officials in Yosemite have released the identity of the man who fell off of Half Dome. Park officials say 23-year-old Ryan Leeder from the Bay Area died Monday evening when he fell over the side of half dome and fell 2,500 feet.
Leeder was hiking alone and no one at the top of Half Dome saw him fall, although climbers reported seeing a man falling off the cables at 6:30 Monday evening.
Park officials say they don't know why the man fell. This is the 17th death that has happened in Yosemite this year.
yosemite national park, local
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Growers watch hourly temps as cold snap approaches
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center
- 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade sees changes
- Defense takes over in Fresno paralegal murder trial
- Pacheco High School founding principal loses battle with cancer
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
35 min ago