Person of interest announced in death of 100-year-old Sanger man
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Dozens of people attended a memorial in the Fresno County town of Sanger.
100-year-old Joe Fischer was murdered after someone attacked him in his apartment. He died three days later at the hospital.
On the same day that friends and family shared stories about Fischer's life... Sanger Police said they have located a person of interest is this murder case.
More than eighty people packed the Eagles Lodge in Sanger Friday night to remember Joe Fischer. Fischer spent 65 years as part of the fraternal order of Eagles. His son Joe Fischer Junior says his father had a zest for life. "He was just an individual who really didn't see any reason why you can't live life to the fullest."
Valley Congressman Jim Costa attended the memorial and presented Fischer Junior with a couple of special momentos honoring the man. "That's why we provided a flag that flew over capital and a congressional resolution that was fittingly honoring of this well lived life."
Just hours before the memorial, Sanger Police caught a huge break in Fischer's murder case. Mayor Josh Mitchell and Police Chief Tom Klose announced that a person of interest is in custody in Southern California. However the man is being held on charges un-related to Fischers case.
"We've had a number of phone calls since our candlelight vigil that have presented us with leads that my investigators have followed," said Klose. "And some of those leads have led to where we are right now."
Chief Klose did not release a name or what other charges the man is facing in Southern California. He did say his investigators are bringing the person of interest to the Valley this weekend -- and possibly that person could be booked into the Fresno County Jail. The break in the case left Fischer Junior hopeful that justice will be served. "I'm very encouraged with that news. And I hope it comes to a satisfaction, satisfactory conclusion."
The man Sanger Police are targeting is only a person of interest -- but Chief Klose expects him to be in the Fresno County Jail by Sunday night.
fresno county, crimetracker, sanger, homicide, local, tommy tran
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president 20 min ago
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones
- Mild, dry weather helps California rice growers
- Dr. Joseph Castro named new Fresno State...
25 min ago