Protestors criticize Fresno church over state of Israel
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Conflicting views over the state of Israel brought protestors to Cornerstone Church in Downtown Fresno Sunday.
A small group of protestors brought out large signs and lined up across the street from the church.
The group is associated with the organization, "We Hold These Truths..." They say not all Christians believe the present state of Israel is the fulfillment of biblical prophecy but, pastor Jim Franklin stood by the church's support of Israel.
"They support wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and seem unconcerned about the deaths of innocent children in places like Gaza," Tom Compton said.
"Israel has been under attack for years. There's rockets being launched almost on a weekly basis into Israel. We believe Israel is one of our strongest allies and we stand with the people of Israel and the right to defend themselves and exist as a soverign nation," Jim Franklin said.
The group "We Hold These Truths" has held about 100 similar protests at churches nationwide.
They say they targeted Cornerstone Sunday because of its association with Televangelist John Hagee who has been criticized for his statements about Israel, the Roman Catholic Church and Islam. Hagee spoke at the church in May.
fresno, fresno county, israel, protest, iraq, local
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home
- El Tapatio fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos