Protestors criticize Fresno church over state of Israel
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Conflicting views over the state of Israel brought protestors to Cornerstone Church in Downtown Fresno Sunday.
A small group of protestors brought out large signs and lined up across the street from the church.
The group is associated with the organization, "We Hold These Truths..." They say not all Christians believe the present state of Israel is the fulfillment of biblical prophecy but, pastor Jim Franklin stood by the church's support of Israel.
"They support wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and seem unconcerned about the deaths of innocent children in places like Gaza," Tom Compton said.
"Israel has been under attack for years. There's rockets being launched almost on a weekly basis into Israel. We believe Israel is one of our strongest allies and we stand with the people of Israel and the right to defend themselves and exist as a soverign nation," Jim Franklin said.
The group "We Hold These Truths" has held about 100 similar protests at churches nationwide.
They say they targeted Cornerstone Sunday because of its association with Televangelist John Hagee who has been criticized for his statements about Israel, the Roman Catholic Church and Islam. Hagee spoke at the church in May.
fresno, fresno county, israel, protest, iraq, local
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos