Fresno gang member arrested after chase ends in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police have arrested 29-year-old Rafael Garcia after a high-speed chase through the streets of Fresno.
Garcia, a validated gang member, sped away from an officer who was attempting to make a traffic stop in West Central Fresno around 10:30pm Wednesday. Garcia, police said, sped away and later threw a loaded hand gun out his window.
The chase reached speeds of up to 100mph, police said. The SUV Garcia was driving smashed into a pick-up truck at Fowler and Princeton about 10 minutes after the chase began.
Police said Garcia tried to run from officers. When police caught up to Garcia in a field moments later they said he resisted arrest. Officers also said Garcia reached for their handguns, so they used a taser on him.
Garcia was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries sustained in the crash.
Garcia's girlfriend was in the car during the chase, she and the driver of the white pick-up suffered minor injuries.
crimetracker, bulldog gang, fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, fresno police department, local
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 23 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
22 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
23 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos