Fresno gang member arrested after chase ends in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police have arrested 29-year-old Rafael Garcia after a high-speed chase through the streets of Fresno.
Garcia, a validated gang member, sped away from an officer who was attempting to make a traffic stop in West Central Fresno around 10:30pm Wednesday. Garcia, police said, sped away and later threw a loaded hand gun out his window.
The chase reached speeds of up to 100mph, police said. The SUV Garcia was driving smashed into a pick-up truck at Fowler and Princeton about 10 minutes after the chase began.
Police said Garcia tried to run from officers. When police caught up to Garcia in a field moments later they said he resisted arrest. Officers also said Garcia reached for their handguns, so they used a taser on him.
Garcia was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries sustained in the crash.
Garcia's girlfriend was in the car during the chase, she and the driver of the white pick-up suffered minor injuries.
crimetracker, bulldog gang, fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, fresno police department, local
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions