Fresno gang member arrested after chase ends in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police have arrested 29-year-old Rafael Garcia after a high-speed chase through the streets of Fresno.
Garcia, a validated gang member, sped away from an officer who was attempting to make a traffic stop in West Central Fresno around 10:30pm Wednesday. Garcia, police said, sped away and later threw a loaded hand gun out his window.
The chase reached speeds of up to 100mph, police said. The SUV Garcia was driving smashed into a pick-up truck at Fowler and Princeton about 10 minutes after the chase began.
Police said Garcia tried to run from officers. When police caught up to Garcia in a field moments later they said he resisted arrest. Officers also said Garcia reached for their handguns, so they used a taser on him.
Garcia was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries sustained in the crash.
Garcia's girlfriend was in the car during the chase, she and the driver of the white pick-up suffered minor injuries.
crimetracker, bulldog gang, fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, fresno police department, local
- One person killed in Fresno County crash 5 min ago
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates