Fresno gang member arrested after chase ends in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police have arrested 29-year-old Rafael Garcia after a high-speed chase through the streets of Fresno.
Garcia, a validated gang member, sped away from an officer who was attempting to make a traffic stop in West Central Fresno around 10:30pm Wednesday. Garcia, police said, sped away and later threw a loaded hand gun out his window.
The chase reached speeds of up to 100mph, police said. The SUV Garcia was driving smashed into a pick-up truck at Fowler and Princeton about 10 minutes after the chase began.
Police said Garcia tried to run from officers. When police caught up to Garcia in a field moments later they said he resisted arrest. Officers also said Garcia reached for their handguns, so they used a taser on him.
Garcia was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries sustained in the crash.
Garcia's girlfriend was in the car during the chase, she and the driver of the white pick-up suffered minor injuries.
crimetracker, bulldog gang, fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, fresno police department, local
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror 21 min ago
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor
- LA voters back measure to cap number of pot shops
- US home sales tick up to highest in 3 ½ years
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Canned peaches may be as good for you as fresh ones