Molotov cocktails thrown at Fresno Police officer's home
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Police are investigating an arson attack at a police officer's home in Northwest Fresno.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said his detectives are investigating whether the female officer was an exact target of this attack. The officer works in the Southwest Division where she was until 2 a.m. Sunday morning. Then around 3 a.m. the chief says two Molotov cocktails were thrown at the front of the officers home in Northwest Fresno.
They say if the arsonist targeted the woman because she's an officer the crime is much more serious.
The attack caused two fires to start -- one inside and one outside the home. The fire department quickly put the two fires out.
The chief said the officer was home with another woman and three children when the attack happened. Fortunately, they were not injured.
The chief said because of the severity of an attack like this, he and his department are taking the incident very seriously. They're working with the Fresno Fire Department Arson Unit to find the person responsible for the attack.
The chief says the officer will soon be back to work. "I spoke with her earlier today and she's in good sprits, very concerned about what has occurred, as we are. I have assured her that we're going to take whatever security measures in place to ensure that she is safe."
The Southwest Division, where this officer works, was the target of an arson incident on August 17th. A police cruiser and two personal cars were set on fire outside the police station. The cars in that incident do not belong to the officer involved in Sunday morning's incident.
Chief Dyer said the department is investigating whether the two incidents are related.
An internal voice mail was being circulated warning other Fresno Police Officers to be aware of their own personal safety because of this incident. That warning will also go out to other local law enforcement agencies in the Valley.
No one is in custody yet, but police are actively searching for witnesses or security cameras that may provide information on the arsonist.
arson, crimetracker, jerry dyer, fresno, fresno northwest, local, rick montanez
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year