Unity promoted at Islamic Cultural Center 9/11 event
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family member of that 9/11 victim said far too many people died on that day and in the 10 years since. Now, Nancy Meyer is promoting peace, and calling for an end to violence so other families will never have to know her pain.
About four dozen doves, symbols of peace, were released into the sky above the Islamic Cultural Center in Northeast Fresno Saturday. The release was part of a commemoration of the 9/11 terror attacks.
"Our group is very passionate about the fact that we want no one else to lose their lives because of what happened to our family members," Meyer said. "We don't want anyone else to go through what we went through."
Meyer lost her sister-in-law on 9/11. Laura Catuzzi Grandcolas was 3 months pregnant when she died. She was on board United flight 93 when the commercial plane went down in a Pennsylvania field as passengers overtook terrorist hijackers.
"The fact that they took action really inspired me, because I felt that it's an important thing to take action and not just submit to more violence," Meyer said.
Now she is promoting unity as a member of September Eleventh Families for Peaceful Tomorrows. The group's mission is to open a dialogue on issues including war, peace and the underlying causes of terrorism.
"When people act out of hatred and intolerance because of 9/11 it just greaves us greatly, it's like living what we went through all over again," she said.
The commemoration also included interfaith leaders and members from around the valley. "We're hoping for better understanding and a better way of looking at each other regardless of faith," said Mona Riazi of Fresno.
Two families from the Islamic Cultural Center lost loved ones when the twin towers fell. Those families are in New York City for 10th anniversary commemorations ceremonies.
9/11, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges 29 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 3 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera 20 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Fire Safety