Mourning for two brothers in Mendota
MENDOTA, Calif. (KFSN) -- About one hundred people gathered at a Mendota home Monday evening, praying for two brothers who died in a weekend shooting. 22 year old Rene Leon and his 15 year old brother, Daniel, died in a drive-by shooting early Sunday morning. The double shooting happened at a party at Stamoules and 8th Street. Three others were injured separate incidents and investigators believe the shootings are all connected.
Friends said the brothers were good kids from a hardworking and tight knit family. "They grew up here. Very nice boys, very respectful," said Mary Hernandez of Mendota.
The victims brother, Freddy Leon, described the moments after the shooting earlier Monday. "Everything blanked out on me. All I saw was my brothers fall and I picked them up and I said, "You can't do this to me. Wake up, wake up," said Freddy Leon.
Investigators don't yet know if the shootings are gang related, but as family members grieved Monday night, they also asked the crowd to let go of feelings of anger and revenge.
Investigators from the Fresno County Sheriff's Department are following up on several leads in this case. So far, they haven't made any arrests.
fresno county, mendota, crimetracker, shooting, homicide, murder, local, amanda perez
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76