Mourning for two brothers in Mendota
MENDOTA, Calif. (KFSN) -- About one hundred people gathered at a Mendota home Monday evening, praying for two brothers who died in a weekend shooting. 22 year old Rene Leon and his 15 year old brother, Daniel, died in a drive-by shooting early Sunday morning. The double shooting happened at a party at Stamoules and 8th Street. Three others were injured separate incidents and investigators believe the shootings are all connected.
Friends said the brothers were good kids from a hardworking and tight knit family. "They grew up here. Very nice boys, very respectful," said Mary Hernandez of Mendota.
The victims brother, Freddy Leon, described the moments after the shooting earlier Monday. "Everything blanked out on me. All I saw was my brothers fall and I picked them up and I said, "You can't do this to me. Wake up, wake up," said Freddy Leon.
Investigators don't yet know if the shootings are gang related, but as family members grieved Monday night, they also asked the crowd to let go of feelings of anger and revenge.
Investigators from the Fresno County Sheriff's Department are following up on several leads in this case. So far, they haven't made any arrests.
fresno county, mendota, crimetracker, shooting, homicide, murder, local, amanda perez
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos