Fresno County teacher accused of sex with 14-year-old student
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 26-year-old teacher from Washington Union High School is accused of having sex with a minor, two years ago.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Department arrested Nadia Diaz Thursday morning at the Sheriff's Office headquarters, one day after her principal called investigators.
Diaz is a full time teacher and the high school, but at the time of the alleged sexual assault two years ago she was just a substitute.
Administrators declined to talk with Action News on camera, but they said they were notified about the allegations a few days ago.
Fresno County detectives showed up here Thursday to investigate after getting a report from deputies who went to the school Wednesday.
The sheriff's department told Action News Nadia Diaz had sex with a Washington Union student off campus at least twice.
Diaz was just a substitute teacher back in 2009, when the alleged sex took place.
A Washington Unified School District spokesperson said Diaz was hired on full time the following school year. And students said she was married just last year.
A Fresno County sex crimes detective told Action News it is not clear why the allegations took so long to surface. "From what we have right now, it's basically two acts," said Det. Juan Galindo. "We don't know what type of relationship she had with him."
Students said Diaz is a popular teacher on campus. Junior Miriam Aceves was in Diaz's advanced placement class last year. "We became kinda close, and I find it amazing cause she always taught us not to do that kind of stuff and to be smarter than that," Aceves said.
"This is something I did not expect from her," said junior Tarndeep Sidhu. "She seems to respect herself more than that, it was a shock to me."
Word about these sex crime accusations is spreading fast in this small community. Diana Reyna's niece and nephew both attend Washington Union. "We really don't have scandals like this, I hope that it's not true," Reyna said.
True or not, school officials have placed Diaz on administrative leave pending the outcome of her case.
Diaz was arrested Thursday morning and bonded out of jail later in the day. Her attorney has not yet allowed detectives to interview her.
Detectives will soon be on campus to interview students and staff to further their investigation.
sex crimes, easton, fresno county, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs 28 min ago
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos