New details from Clovis North teacher sex investigation
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has uncovered new details from the investigation into a Clovis North High School teacher - accused of having a sexual relationship with at least one student.
Andrew Cardillo was arrested last month for a sex crime involving a person under the age of 18. Prosecutors haven't charged Cardillo with a crime yet, but he's due in court next week. In the meantime, investigators are still working the case and Action News uncovered some disturbing accusations.
Inside the walls of Clovis North, Andrew Cardillo developed a reputation among many students as a teacher who played favorites. Rumors swirled about his relationship with one particular student and when Fresno Police arrested Cardillo, the suspicions seemed to be confirmed.
"I'm not surprised," said Cassandra Rangel, a current Clovis North student who took drama classes from Cardillo. "That's pretty much it. It doesn't shock me and kind of just confirms everything."
Court documents uncovered by Action News show what the alleged victim told police before they arrested Cardillo. The teenager said she had a sexual relationship with the drama teacher starting in Dec. 2008 -- Cardillo's second year at Clovis North.
The relationship lasted a year and a half with several encounters over that time, all at Cardillo's home while his wife was away. The girl told investigators they had intercourse a few times, including once in early May 2010 -- less than a week before Cardillo's wife gave birth to a son.
The teen also said that one time during the affair, she saw Cardillo communicating on the computer with another underage female student who she believed was nude.
In the search warrant, police claim the computer Cardillo used for that communication was a laptop issued by the Clovis Unified School District. Investigators seized computers and phones from Cardillo's home, including the school district's laptop.
Action News talked to Cardillo's attorney and he said he won't have any comment until prosecutors actually file charges.
Cardillo is still on administrative leave from Clovis Unified.
fresno county, crimetracker, clovis, fresno police department, local, corin hoggard
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 17 hurt 10 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo