Clovis man helps victims after Reno plane crash
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Clovis man nearly lost his life in the crash Friday at Reno's Air Race. David Cobb was only about 20 feet away from the impact zone. He said he watched the plane as it dived nose first toward the ground.
Cobb said he was so close to the crash, the shockwave from the impact threw him face first onto the floor of his box seats.
Days after the crash, Cobb still cannot believe he's alive. A pilot in training, with decades of experience in the Air National Guard, Cobb could tell something was wrong based on the Galloping Ghost's behavior over the grandstands moments before it crashed. He and other witnesses said even though the pilot was in trouble they could tell he was trying to avoid the crowd.
"I could see that he was probably trying to pull it away from there. At that point, the nose went down and he just went& trying to get out of the dive or get away from people," Cobb said.
His eyes were still wide with fright as he thought back to the seconds before the plane hit the ground. "I'm down there on the other end and I'm looking straight up and watching his airplane coming straight down at me," he said.
He was only left with a few scratches after the impact. A career paramedic, Cobb jumped into action treating the injured once he realized he was okay.
"I've gone to some large disasters in my time as a paramedic, but not as large as this," he said.
Now that he's back home in the Valley, Cobb looks at his clothes and camera which are still splattered with debris from the impact.
He said he survived the crash for a reason; so he could help others live through this terrifying incident.
Cobb has been to the Reno Air Races the past five years. He said he will continue to go to air races and air shows, because this incident he says was just a freak accident.
plane crash, nevada, local, rick montanez
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood several Tower District businesses 14 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest 55 min ago
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Thieves looking for copper wire flood...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos