Merced Co SWAT called to Atwater standoff
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A hostage situation in Atwater came to an end with the suspect in custody.
It happened on Nutmeg near Shaffer Road on Friday night.
Atwater Police responded to reports of a fight. When officers arrived, witnesses said 30-year-old Rigoberto Padilla had assaulted a 42-year-old man -- then drug the victim into his home.
Two women and two children ran out of the house, but Padilla refused to come out. Officers called the in Merced County SWAT. They entered the home and took Padilla into custody.
The victim was taken to the hospital with severe injuries to his head and upper body.
standoff, swat, atwater, merced county, local
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76