Teen arrested for attempted murder of a Fresno Police officer
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Police have tracked down the 16-year-old boy they say shot at an officer several times as he avoided arrest.
Byron Neal, 32, was also arrested. Police say he was with the 16-year-old moments before the shooting Friday night. Neal did not fire at the officer, but is being held in connection to an armed car jacking.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer says the 16-year-old shooting suspect had already threatened a man with a gun when officers caught up with the teen and the two men he was with. The teenager ran, firing six bullets at the officer -- while children played nearby.
The shooting happened Friday on Fresno Street near White in Central Fresno. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said they have found the gun used to fire six shots at Fresno Police Officer Michael McCray.
"Officer McCray dodged the bullets, literally. And continued to give chase on foot toward the suspect," said Dyer.
Chief Dyer said his officer followed the suspect through alleys and into several apartment parking lots, while they were being shot at.
The Chief Dyer said officer McCray did not fire back at the teenager. "The very reason he didn't return fire, because he knew by doing so he would endanger the lives of innocent children that were playing in the area."
None of the bullets struck anyone. Police said the shooter temporarily avoided arrest despite the S.W.A.T. team's intense search of the area. S.W.A.T. officers held a perimeter in the neighborhood until 4 a.m. Saturday morning.
Chief Dyer said its rare for an officer to be shot at, but it's one of his biggest concerns. "We do not want things of this nature to become contagious and to become a new trend in our city."
Byron Neal faces charges in connection to an attempted carjacking. That incident happened on August 21 in West Central Fresno. Police say a man and woman were pistol whipped and then robbed.
After following several leads, and serving several search warrants Chief Dyer says the 16-year-old shooter was finally arrested in Southeast Fresno. Police say he is a gang member, and now faces two counts of assault on a police officer and two counts of attempted murder on a police officer.
shooting, swat, jerry dyer, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Fire off Copper and Sunnyside north of Clovis
- Carstens Fire near Midpines causes evacuations 42 min ago
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Chop shop and pot grow busted in Tulare County
- Rolling Fire burning in Madera County
- Federal agents search land linked to Hoffa case
- abcnews: Brokenhearted Hitman Testifies Against...
- OTRC: Daytime Emmys 2013 winners: Full list
- Grass fire closes Highway 99 in Fresno
- Cantaloupe producers start new safety program
- Apricot growers in California are expecting a big year
- Emergency crash landing at Fresno-Yosemite airport
- Zoo employees hold yard sale for conservation projects
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos