Fresno OIS suspect tried to run officer over
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Victor Mata is back in jail. He recently served a two year prison sentence for evading police and reckless driving. Police say he is a gang member who was trying to get away when he spun out in reverse, right toward a Fresno Police Officer.
A crash into a fence at Barton and Washington is finally what brought Victor Mata and his pickup truck to a stop.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer says this well-known criminal, was not about to surrender peacefully when a motorcycle officer tried to pull him over Sunday night.
Chief Dyer said, "The suspect told the investigators that he knew that he had a suspended license and did not want to have his vehicle impounded and that's why he initially tried to evade the officers."
Mata has a long and elaborate criminal history, including a felony charge in 2009 of buying or receiving a stolen vehicle. He was also convicted of running away from a police officer and reckless driving.
In 2006 he was convicted of driving without a valid license. In 2005 he was convicted of obstructing an officer and driving under the influence.
Sunday, Chief Dyer said Mata faced off with yet another officer. After driving up onto a curb, the chief says the suspect ignored the officer's orders.
Chief Dyer said, "The suspect refused to get out of the car and in fact put the car into reverse and accelerated to the point where his tires were smoking but his car was lodged onto this tree root."
Eventually, the pickup dislodged and jolted back toward the officer. According to witnesses, the truck came within feet of hitting the officer. That's when the officer fired his gun several times. But, the confrontation wasn't over yet. Investigators say Mata drove off again. And the officer, who fired at him, jumped on his motorcycle and followed.
Within just three blocks Dyer says the suspect was involved in three separate collisions, the final one ended in a trip to the hospital and then to jail.
Police say none of the bullets struck Mata. But he complained of some pain and was treated at the hospital. Investigators say Mata was also under the influence of alcohol during the incident.
fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, officer involved shooting, fresno police department, jerry dyer, local, sontaya rose
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 49 min ago
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued
- Obama: Nation must do more for fallen heroes 48 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying 55 min ago
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak 50 min ago
- UK zookeeper dies from tiger attack injuries 53 min ago
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 38 min ago
- Fresno State's famous sweet corn went on sale
- Are there enough police officers in Visalia?
- Good Sports: Kensuke Tanaka