Fresno PD car arson investigation goes online
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The fires happened at the southwest police substation a few weeks before arsonists also targeted an officer from that same substation. Court documents reveal one place where the investigation is focused.
The investigation into these badly burned vehicles is taking place, in large part, on the internet. Court documents obtained by Action News show police found a severely burned 40-ounce beer bottle with the smell of gasoline right next to a burned pickup truck.
Investigators believe arsonists tossed Molotov Cocktails into the parking lot of the southwest police substation, damaging three vehicles.
Arson experts are taking their time looking into the crime. But news of the fires spread almost as quickly as the flames. Within an hour, the story was online. But not on any traditional news organization's website. Investigators found a blog post on the website indybay.org, apparently taking credit for the firebombing.
It says, "In solidarity with everyone fighting against police brutality and the police state, Molotovs were thrown into the parking lot of the Fresno SW substation where police cars and pigs' personal vehicles are parked. This action is done in solidarity, especially with those in the East Bay standing up against the murderous BART police who most recently executed Charles Hill."
The author of the post is listed as Hill, who was shot and killed during a confrontation in July. A search warrant shows investigators are trying to identify the real author -- checking records at the company hosting indybay's website. Investigators believe the author either committed the crime or knows who did. And they could wrap up two cases with this one lead.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer says the substation attack may be related to a pair of arson fires at an officer's home two weeks later. The female officer worked at the substation that was attacked.
arson, fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, jerry dyer, fresno police department, local, corin hoggard
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs 16 min ago
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit 30 min ago
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- Fresno State QB Competition Open
37 min ago