Officer involved shooting near a Fresno Park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California Highway Patrol and the Fresno Police Department are investigating an officer involved shooting in Central Fresno.
The shooting happened across the street from Romain Playground near Harvey and Second in Central Fresno around 3:50 a.m. Thursday morning.
C.H.P. officers say the suspect was swerving through Central Fresno near Olive and First. The officers attempted to pull over the vehicle, but the suspect refused to stop. The C.H.P then pursued the vehicle through neighborhoods for a short time before the suspect crashed into a fence near Harvey and Second.
Investigators say when the two C.H.P. officers approached the vehicle, the suspect put the car in reverse. The officers feared the suspect was trying to run them over, so both officers opened fire. The suspect was not hit and surrendered to the officers.
The vehicle involved in the shooting had several bullet holes on the door and window. Neighbors heard between five and eight shots fired before the suspect surrendered.
Officers say the suspect, 21-year-old Gabriel Osorio of Fresno, is a gang member with a long criminal history.
officer involved shooting, california highway patrol, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, bulldog gang, gang, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe