SWAT standoff ends with man's disappearance
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A ten-hour standoff in Coalinga is over, but police say the man they were looking for wasn't found.
The situation began when Coalinga police tried to serve a search warrant at a house on East Valley St. Thursday afternoon.
Police say 42-year-old Lloyd Fryrear lives at the house.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Department says Fryrear's mother noticed the detectives outside the home and ran into the house.
They say the SWAT team was brought in after she refused to come outside.
Officers used tear gas to try to get Fryrear and his mother out. They say she came out, but Fryrear didn't.
At 12:45 Friday morning the SWAT team went inside but officers say Fryrear wasn't there.
Deputies say they found an illegal weapon - and they say Fryrear remains dangerous.
"He's known to law enforcement," Chris Curtice of the Fresno County Sheriff's Department said. "Apparently he has several arrests: violence, assaults, narcotics. He doesn't like cops, so it's a recipe for disaster as we've seen in the history of this county."
Several homes near the SWAT standoff were evacuated but police say everyone is now back in their homes.
Coalinga police say they will continue their search for Fryrear.
fresno county, coalinga, crimetracker, standoff, fresno county sheriff department, local
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified 19 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
48 min ago