Teen in custody after fatal stabbing in Orange Cove
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An Orange Cove teenager is in custody, after investigators say he killed a 21-year-old man. The fatal stabbing happened Sunday night at a home on Tenth Street near Adams.
Investigators are not saying much about this case. One family member says the suspect is 17 years old and lives at the home. He says the juvenile acted in self-defense after the 21-year-old victim tried to harm others during a family barbecue.
A disturbance call led Orange Cove Police to the home Sunday night. Once inside, they found the victim, 21-year-old Oscar Valle suffering from multiple stab wounds.
Witnesses say the street was blocked off for several hours as investigators secured the scene and collected evidence.
Norma Gutierrez said, "Everybody started coming out and all that stuff. That's how we found out it was maybe a stabbing."
Amelia Herrera said, "And we were like, oh my god, I hope it's not that serious -- and it was and we were feeling really bad."
Authorities say the juvenile suspect left the scene. They arrested him a short time later.
One family member, who did not want to speak on camera, tells Action News, Valle was invited to the home. He claims, Valle started acting violently and threatened to stab children there. That's when he says, the suspect stabbed him. The crime has left neighbors here shaken.
"It's hard because I have kids, and when they go out I don't know what's going to happen. It's hard."
"They just want to live peacefully and for someone to come in, and just whom, something like this. It's a big shock."
Orange Cove's Police chief says Sunday's murder marks the second homicide in the city this year. In 2010, there were none.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office has taken over the case. They have not identified the suspect because of his age.
orange cove, fresno county, stabbing, murder, crimetracker, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos