Occupy Fresno Targets Superintendent Michael Hanson
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Occupy Fresno group left their encampment at Courthouse Park and marched to Fresno Unified School District Headquarters. The movements stated goal is to represent the interests of the 99% of Americans who are not wealthy. They feel School Superintendent Michael Hanson is not among the 99%.
Occupy Fresno Spokesman Michael Becker told Action News, "His salary is somewhere in the order of $320 thousand dollars somewhere in that range that puts him in the top one half of one percent of the income structure. From the point of view of Occupy Fresno he kind of exemplifies the attitude of the top one percent. We've got it great, we're making great money, we're asking everyone else to sacrifice but they don't step up and make a sacrifice themself."
Occupy Fresno members say teachers and students have borne the brunt of budget cuts. They called on the school board to cut Hanson's pay, along with the districts other top administrators. They believe a 25% pay cut would generate $10 ten million for classrooms. Becker and others called on board members to put a pay cut on the agenda.
Becker said, "Last time, will any of you put an agenda item on the agenda to discuss an administrators across the board pay cut to put the money back in the classrooms."
Board members did not respond.
"Well, thanks for nothing." Becker concluded.
Occupy Fresno Members say they will be back, making the same demand. We asked Occupy Fresno member Anthony Benjamin if he thought the administrators would take pay cuts. He said, "Of course not, it's going to be forced on them."
Hanson, and School Board members were advised by their legal counsel that they could not respond to comments made by the public on matters not on the meeting agenda.
local, gene haagenson
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley 42 min ago
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released 58 min ago
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition 7 min ago
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000