Occupy Fresno Targets Superintendent Michael Hanson
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Occupy Fresno group left their encampment at Courthouse Park and marched to Fresno Unified School District Headquarters. The movements stated goal is to represent the interests of the 99% of Americans who are not wealthy. They feel School Superintendent Michael Hanson is not among the 99%.
Occupy Fresno Spokesman Michael Becker told Action News, "His salary is somewhere in the order of $320 thousand dollars somewhere in that range that puts him in the top one half of one percent of the income structure. From the point of view of Occupy Fresno he kind of exemplifies the attitude of the top one percent. We've got it great, we're making great money, we're asking everyone else to sacrifice but they don't step up and make a sacrifice themself."
Occupy Fresno members say teachers and students have borne the brunt of budget cuts. They called on the school board to cut Hanson's pay, along with the districts other top administrators. They believe a 25% pay cut would generate $10 ten million for classrooms. Becker and others called on board members to put a pay cut on the agenda.
Becker said, "Last time, will any of you put an agenda item on the agenda to discuss an administrators across the board pay cut to put the money back in the classrooms."
Board members did not respond.
"Well, thanks for nothing." Becker concluded.
Occupy Fresno Members say they will be back, making the same demand. We asked Occupy Fresno member Anthony Benjamin if he thought the administrators would take pay cuts. He said, "Of course not, it's going to be forced on them."
Hanson, and School Board members were advised by their legal counsel that they could not respond to comments made by the public on matters not on the meeting agenda.
local, gene haagenson
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back 18 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer 25 min ago
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- River Park Little League ready to play ball
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos