Grim discovery closes Mendota park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Mendota park is closed Monday morning after two fisherman reportedly discovered a body over the weekend.
Investigators say the body was found around 5:15 Sunday night near the Delta-Mendota canal, near Bass Street.
Officers say it was discovered in some brush in the area known as Mendota Pool Park.
Homicide detectives were called in to assist in the investigation after sheriff's deputies determined the person did not die of natural causes.
Authorities said Sunday night's conditions were making it difficult to collect evidence.
Detectives say they will resume their investigation after daylight on Monday morning.
mendota, fresno county, mendota pool, local
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos