Fishermen discover dead body near the Mendota Slough
MENDOTA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County homicide investigators say a body found at the Mendota Pool Park Sunday had been at the location for several weeks.
An autopsy was completed Monday afternoon, and deputies hope it will help them make a positive ID.
A pair of fishermen made the discovery just after 5:00 p.m. in an area filled with trees and brush. Investigators say the body is that of a male who was badly decomposed.
Leo Lopez with Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "It appears he'd been there a while, undetermined amount of time and it's safe to say he didn't die of natural causes."
Neighbors say the area is frequented by many people. The river draws locals out to fish and nearby cotton fields were harvested last week.
Some neighbors say they walk right by the location where the body was found. They were shocked to hear about the discovery in the dense brush.
fresno county, mendota, mendota pool, mendota slough, local, sontaya rose
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos