Clovis Police car crashes during chase; suspect escapes
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police in Clovis are searching for a suspect who got away from them after an early morning chase ended with a crash. They're looking for 36-year-old Michael Kaercher.
The crash happened just before 6 a.m. Tuesday morning at the intersection of Shepherd and Willow. Clovis Police spent nearly two hours cleaning up the debris left from the early morning crash.
Investigators say an officer chasing the suspect tried the pit maneuver in an effort to stop the male suspect. It didn't work. The officer crashed into the back of a pick-up truck.
"The suspect left the scene. All the officers stopped here to render aid to the officer and the civilian involved in the collision," said Dan Sullivan with the Clovis Police Department.
The officer and pick-up truck driver suffered minor injuries and were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Police chased the suspect from an apartment complex in the area of Tenth and Minnewawa where they responded to a disturbance call around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. Investigators said this isn't the first time they've had a run in with the man and his ex-girlfriend who lives in the area.
"The suspect is known to us. There's a restraining order against him for domestic violence, and he was a suspect in that case. So officers were looking for him at the scene."
The female victim wasn't available to talk, but a family friend said, off camera, that a neighbor called police -- not the ex-girlfriend. Action News has confirmed with the family friend that a photo of 36-year-old Michael Kaercher on his Facebook page is the suspect.
Kaercher is considered by police to be dangerous -- evidenced by the lengthy pursuit that injured a police officer and another Valley driver.
"The victim in this case fears for her safety. And that was a reason for us to try and apprehend this individual."
Michael Kaercher was last seen driving an early 90's white Acura sedan. His whereabouts are unknown. If you have any information on where he is you are urged to call police.
police chase, clovis, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Lemoore airman sentenced to 10 years for pimping a 17-year-old girl 48 min ago
- Calif. man arrested at border on terrorism charges
- Tulare Police Chief Arrested
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Man with no pants attacks Merced woman, police say
- 3rd person dies from South By Southwest crash
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos