Autopsy evidence in murder trial against Ex-Marine
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jurors heard the gruesome details Tuesday of exactly how a three-month-old baby was killed from the doctor who performed the autopsy.
Former Fresno Marine Robert Quiroz was caring for his son when the little boy died. This is how a normal three-month-old child's skull should look. This is how coroners say Roman Quiroz's skull looked after his death.
The actual autopsy photos are too disturbing for television, but Dr. Michael Chambliss drew what he called a complex fracture on the picture of a normal child's skull. Chambliss testified the fracture went all the way through Roman's skull -- through 1/8 inch of bone. It also splintered the skull like an eggshell. Chambliss said it would take more than a simple fall to cause this particular fracture.
"It's a considerable amount of force," he said. "The amount of energy it takes to fracture that is more of a higher velocity type of injury."
Roman's father, Robert, has admitted to accidentally putting his son's head into the armrest of a couch. But Chambliss noticed more injuries to Roman at the autopsy. He said the boy had several broken ribs on both sides of his body and bruises on his chest that didn't seem associated with CPR or medical treatment. He said someone applied a crushing force to the ribs and ruled the infant's death a homicide.
"Roman's death is a case of fatal child abuse syndrome in which we have physical injuries in multiple locations," Chambliss said.
Robert Quiroz has denied causing the injuries to Roman's ribs. For the first time during the weeklong trial, Quiroz let his emotions show in court Tuesday. He covered his face to hide tears as Dr. Chambliss described Roman's injuries, and frowned as he looked away from jurors leaving the courtroom shortly afterwards.
Dr. Chambliss was the prosecution's last witness. The defense takes over on Wednesday and Quiroz is expected to testify in his own defense.
crimetracker, court, murder, fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, local, corin hoggard
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 1 min ago
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos